Sunday, February 12, 2017

Bonding Through Laughter



Most of us are not new to the phrase “laughter is the best medicine”. However, until this school year I have never thought of laughter as a way to bond with my students. I’ve done mad LIBS, engaging activities, had thought provoking conversations. I play with my students during recess. I always try to make sure my students know that I truly care about them, but I’m not someone who is often described as very funny or silly. 

This year, however, has been truly an experience where I teach my students and also learn from them all year long. My class is  a great group of kids with a lot of personalities and they absolutely have to be actively learning, staying engaged one hundred percent of the time to have a positive atmosphere and good discipline. 

This is my first year teaching 4th grade (as it turns out, my absolutely favorite grade to teach!) and between standardized testing, recreating the wheel with curriculum, differentiation, and a million other things that jump out at me throughout the day , so often I feel absolutely exhausted. What I’ve noticed though with this particular group is that when days get long, we struggle as a class to understand a topic, or we just need a break, there is always someone who will make a witty yet silly remark, say a funny joke, or will make a reference to an inside joke that’s related to something silly from that day or maybe a previous week. It always results in a good laugh and lightens the mood. From there, things go smoother. Conversations become easier to have. Focus and energy return. Laughing together; sometimes laughing so hard that we have to take deep breaths to stop, helps us bond, helps my students know I am a part of the class with them and that we are all a community growing, learning, and laughing together. They are quick to tell me jokes during recess, remind me of silly inside jokes based on class skits and other activities. They know exactly what will be funny and it’s not stupid or offensive funny, it’s funny, funny; the kind of funny where you say I am so lucky to be a part of this because this is an awesome group and they really know how to lighten up a situation, but can get back on task and be stronger, smarter, better after taking a much needed break. 

No matter how tired I can be some days, laughter has truly worked wonders in my classroom this year. It is true, every class is different. Dynamics in every class are different, but I am so grateful for the awesome group of kids I have in my class this year because as much as I love teaching them, I love learning from them just as much if not more. 

What helps you bond with your students?


Have you read “ The Book With No Pictures?” If your students and you need a good laugh, this book is perfect. An awesome teacher and someone I see as a mentor in so many ways let me borrow her copy earlier this year because she said it would be perfect for this class after I told her about the dynamics and she was so right. If your class is anything like mine, this book will be a favorite of yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment