Sunday, February 12, 2017

What Does it Mean to be Smart?




I'd like to think that I am always learning, always growing as a teacher . Today, I had to admit to myself that I've failed . I've failed my students this year in a way I never thought I would fail them.
While I have been focusing on the academics and preparing my class for standardized testing , I failed to show my students that a test, a reading level, or a score on an assignment doesn't define who they are.
I work hard to promote critical thinking,team work, hands on experiences, and activities . I tell my students daily how proud of them I am and that everyone is working on different things.
For the past few months , I've had an issue with a couple of my students saying they are not smart or acting very surprised when I say they are smart. Today, we were describing character traits ( inner and outer ) of a new student from the book "The Watsons Go to Burmingham." Before going ahead and discussing character traits of the book character, I had a few students volunteer to have their inner and outer qualities described by classmates. When one particular student's inner qualities were described , one of the qualities mentioned was "smart". This student proceeded to tell me that it wasn't true . Later today, after having a conversation on this topic, I asked the same student "what makes you smart?" The response was " knowing multiplication, good grades, and high reading level."
While what the student listed is important in school and I am so glad was recognized as important, it broke my heart to hear this response. So I had all my students take out sticky notes and each one of them replied to the following questions:
What does it mean to be smart? What makes you smart? Students knew that they could write anything and they didn't have to read it out loud to the class. Over 80% of my students listed:
-good grades
-listening to my teacher
-my reading level
-knowing multiplication
-knowing how to divide
-fractions
-because my teacher says I am smart
These responses mortified me and at the same time they were the exact wake up call I needed.
I am currently taking an intro to AIG course at UNCP and I just finished reading about the theory of multiple intelligences; a theory I am familiar with and aware of, but definitely not something I thought I would be teaching to 4th graders, yet in a way, I need to.
Oh boy, did today just make the "wheels " in my brain turn. As a society, we spend so much time telling our young children that they are smart if they pass the EOG, if they are on grade level for reading, if they master their multiplication facts, etc. They can recite their reading levels by heart, and so often say they are not smart when they don't get that perfect grade on a test. As a society, we have become so focused on numbers and multiple choice tests, yet it seems that we have forgotten that life is never a matter of multiple choice.
After reading my students' responses, as a class we had a discussion about various ways one can be smart and my students were so incredibly surprised when I talked about technical skills, artistic and musical abilities, and interpersonal skills. All of a sudden a light bulb lit up and I can only hope that light bulb doesn't fade. It is my hope that all of them went home thinking about what it means to be smart and how being smart can show itself in so many different ways.
Today taught me that while all the testing we do and of course teaching academics is so important, I absolutely cannot take for granted my students' self-esteems or just assume they are confident and know that they are bright and smart no matter what reading levels they are or what they EOG looked like for them last year, or may look like this year or next. Being smart is so much more than a test or a grade. Perceiving yourself as smart is enabling and empowering, recognizing, and validating and I never want to see any of my students or any child for that matter feel not smart.
Therefore, I will continue to ask my students throughout the year "what makes you smart?" and hope to hear more and more creative and thought out responses.
*********************
What are some activities you do to promote self-esteem of your students?
Team building activities?
How do you help your students feel successful through ice breakers, getting to know each other activities, thought provoking activities?
I would love to hear ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment